Friday, January 16, 2009

ANYONE can be a Martha!

While checking out at the grocery store I always peruse the magazines, especially the food mags. (o.k., occasionally I pickup and read the "inquirer"). I am totally impressed by the shots of beautifully decorated cakes and think "I wish I could be like Martha and do that". Well, let me tell you, I can, and if I can, you can!

I am not a fantastic cook. In fact, I seldom cook. But when I have an occasion or friends and family over, I really want to make them feel special. So, I took a class on cake decorating and learned how to use fondant and make gum paste flowers. Here is what I learned.

Working with fondant and gum paste is like playing with pla
y-doh. Remember those colorful but smelly containers and all the shapes you could make by pushing down on the lever of the play-doh machine? I'd make and decorate pretend cakes which I could never eat. Fondant and gum paste doesn't taste much better than play-doh. But the beautiful shapes and flowers you can make will impress everyone.

1) Purchase either powdered mix or ready mixed gum paste (hobby lobby or michael's and don't forget to go online and print out a coupon).
2) Mix desired amount per instructions. Knead gum paste until it's soft and pliable.
If it becomes sticky knead in a bit more mix. If it sticks to your hands rub vegetable shortening onto your hands.
3) Rub a bit of vegetable shortening onto your work surface. Keep the surface and your hands clean of fuzz and stuff because the gum paste will pick up everything. Roll out gum paste using a rolling pin just like you would a pie crust. Add veg. shortening to rolling pin if it sticks. Roll out to about 1/6 thickness. Cover tightly in plastic wrap the gum paste you are not using. Cut out shapes. I used a petal leaf shape to create my flowers.
4) Create a ring of foil and set a side. Start with one petal leaf shape and pinch between your fingers to give it shape. Lay petal leaf inside foil ring, hanging over the side. Continue pinching and shaping petals and place in a circular shape within the foil ring. You may want to alternate and make layers to create a flower look. (it will help to look at photos of flowers before you start).
5) You can add food coloring to the gum paste to create different colors. Add a few drops and knead paste until the color is well mixed. Remember to keep unused gum paste covered in plastic.
6) You can use a toothpick to create lines and details.

7) Continue forming and shaping gum paste - just like play-doh! 8) Leave your creations sit until dry. If something breaks; mix a small bit of gum paste with water until it forms a runny paste like glue. Glue pieces together using a fine brush.
9) When flowers or shapes are dried use to decorate your cake or cupcakess. Keep unused in airtight container.
See, you can be a Martha also! (don't worry if your gum paste flowers look like aliens, you can always sell the photos to the inquirer!)

3 comments:

  1. that's great! you make it sound fun.. and easy, and i know how quickly they can turn into aliens!!!!
    thanks for letting me play with you on fri.. always learning!
    smiles,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "Martha" encouragement. Great first impression with the awesome photo - maybe I am hungry:). Great theme, colors and layout. Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete